Raw, Real, and Unashamed | Personal

13.3.13 Unknown 3 Comments

god-horses-and-photography
Photo by Martin Kotze

I'm a BSc student. I love science, finding out how things work and why they work that way. It's possible that I probably know more about evolution and the anatomy of plants and animals than I do the Word of God. Strange how I can do both, I never had to give up one or the other. I never cursed my textbook for the mere mention of the possibility of evolution. I'm not a Christian because I was forced to be one. It wasn't something that was shoved down my throat all my life. I'd been to church and I knew what it was all about. 

When I was 15 my good friend Amy invited me to her church's harvest event. She didn't force me to go. I just went. And I found God. The most tangible presence I have ever felt in my entire life. I felt like I had a fire burning inside my heart. And I wanted Him. All of Him. I asked Him to be my Lord and Saviour, the One who I would live my life for. And I've never looked back. Since then I've realized how easily people mistake religion, churches, and annoying Bible-bashing Christians for God. God isn't like those annoying Christians, He's not that set of rules and traditions that you carry out every Sunday because it’s the 'right thing to do'. 

They always say that something only becomes real when it hits home. I'd seen people healed by God before, cripples rising up out of wheelchairs, an 80 something year old woman with terrible arthritis in her spine jumping up and touching her toes. I can't even do that. But then it hit home and my horse got sick. Really sick. And no it's not just a horse. He's my baby, my best friend, the treasure of my heart. I love him more than I do most people. Thank God for medicine and technology and my awesome vet, but when she had done all she could do, and there was no more medicine to fix him, I prayed.

 I prayed and I wept and I asked my friends to pray. My uncle then phoned and gave some advice. Some God advice and some good advice. After some crazy midnight antics of walking him up and down a hill and lunging him over a small jump, he started getting better and better. And three days later he was back to normal. And a week later we won our championships with a double clear round. We shared first in the infamous 6 bar jump off by clearing 1,4m. Which is the biggest jump we've ever faced in our lives. After not sleeping and eating for almost a week, taking care of my sick horse that was almost sent to Pretoria for a very costly operation, we won. And all that was running through my head was how we flew over that jump like we were on the wings of eagles. The wings of eagles. I couldn't get that phrase out of my head, so I googled it. Surprise surprise, it’s a verse out of the book of Isaiah: 

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 40vs31

And that is exactly what we had just been through. I didn't think we would be strong enough. I wanted to give up and not bother with the show. But we pushed on. That night I went to bed with my heart thumping in my chest, filled with abundant joy, peace and exhilaration. Refreshed and renewed.   

Maybe you think this is all just a big coincidence. But I know that my God came through for me. My 'imaginary friend in the sky'. Washing me with His grace and mercy. There is no scientific explanation for the peace that washed over me, in the midst of all the craziness that was going on around me. I'm not exempt from pain, hurt and disappointment, but I’m sure glad that my God is there for me, and that He’s there to help me every step of the way. He will never leave me nor forsake me. 

Thank you Lord. 


god-horses-and-photography
god-horses-and-photography god-horses-and-photography
 god-horses-and-photography  
god-horses-and-photography
god-horses-and-photography
god-horses-and-photography

3 comments:

  1. Wow Chris! Poignant, eloquent and to the point. There is not a single thing that our Saviour cannot or will not if it is asked for through fervent prayer and supplication. Well done and well said. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy God's Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRAGTIGE testament! Ek wens meer mense wil getuig oor die wonderwerke wat in hul lewens gebeur. Ons God is groot, prys die Here!!!

    Helena xox

    ReplyDelete